Monday, September 5, 2011

What do you serve?

Can't serve both money and God, you will love one and hate the other. -Jesus the Anointed (Christ)

My work has three parts. The first and most rewarding is to spread and practice good news. This part is really simple:

You will be loved unconditionally. You will be fed, clothed, and sheltered. You will live in peace. You will have work that you enjoy. You will grow and learn. You will party. You and your people will thrive. Everyday will be a celebration. You will fear nothing, not even death.

How do I know this is true? Because I live it daily.

Of course, none of this is possible as long as money is a priority. The love of money corrupts the very best of us. Yes, money is a tool but it is a tool that demands you worship it; that you conform your life to having it. And why not? With money we buy the necessities and luxuries of life. Money seems to give life.

The second part of my work is to tear down the idol of money. I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy this as well. I was made for it. Like a lion stalking its prey, I'm here to devour this illusion. Money will never set you free.

See even if you manage to grab a hold of the American Dream, you'll be prospering while your neighbors suffer. If you want to walk the path of liberation and healing, if you want a limitless life, if you want a true revolution, then this is an open invitation to join.

Now here's the twist, I do not want your money. I am not asking you to join a religion. I am not fund-raising for a non-profit. This is a spiritual movement, and as such it needs to make sense to you.

The point is I want you to spread your gifts and resources around your community, if you aren't already. Find groups, projects, people who are doing things you want to support. Does a friend have a business idea? Help them launch it. Is someone sick and can't afford their bills? Help them pay it. Is someone having a hard time finding a job? Check your networks and see if you can make a connection. Is someone sad or lonely? Plan a party and invite them to join you. These are some of the most radical things you can do.

This is important because the structures that worship money have been crushing people under them for centuries. Don't believe me? Then listen to the evening news or read the paper. How much of what you find there is good?

Right now there is a party going on, but it's an underground party. The third part of my work is to help you find the door. If you haven't found it already, all you need to do is ask and I'll come show you.

No comments: